My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante

09:36

Notes on the Author
Elena Ferrante is the pen-name of an Italian novelist whose true identity has been shrouded in mystery since the publication of her first novel in 1992. Ferrante is set to be one of the most important italian novelists of our generation. 






My Brilliant Friend was recommended to me by a friend whilst we were having breakfast on a Monday morning at Berners Tavern - a place which I highly recommend, situated just off Oxford Circus on Berners St. 

I mentioned to her that the book I had enjoyed most recently was The Goldfinch by Donna Tart, and she said that this was another beautifully written fiction novel that had everyone talking. 

It did not disappoint.  In fact, I finished the book in about two days, and once finished felt a sadness - mostly at how the story ended - but also at the realisation that if I read it again it wouldn't be the same, and I wish I had savoured it more. 

The tale follows two best friends Lila and Eleni as they grow up in an impoverished suburb of Naples around the 1950's. Lila is a striking character; strong, independent and sometimes emotionless, whilst Eleni is quieter, and much more unsure of herself, often looking to her friend for reassurance and validation. The girls have a dysfunctional yet endearing relationship, and whilst it is clear from the start that Lila is the star of the show, the story is narrated by Eleni beautifully as she describes the trials and tribulations of growing up poor, and with a complicated friend like Lila. 

Over time the girls go down separate paths. Eleni buries herself in books and focuses on her education, whilst Lila, whom is naturally clever and clearly smarter than Eleni, is more concerned with wealth (partly to help her poor family and calm her mentally ill brother) and marries Stefano, who is from a rich family with illegal ties. 

Slowly as Eleni grows more educated she feels trapped in the suburb and longs for intelligent conversation and a culturally richer life. The only way she see a way out is to be with a fellow classmate, Nino, with whom she has always been in love. However, Nino is troubled and often wanders in a world of his own, ignoring Eleni. 

Lila, convinced she is in love with the handsome and rich Salvatore is jealous of Eleni and wishes she too had taken the path of education, however, she is satisfied living in the lap of luxury with her soon to be husband and settles for the better life she has always wanted. 

The story ends at Lila and Stefano's wedding of the century, a prestigious affair, where tragically both the girls hearts are broken at the same time, in different ways.

I was left longing for more, and felt a cloud of sorrow pass over me as I realised the reality of the situation that both Eleni and Lila were in. I left the book really thinking about the injustice, wishing for a happy ending and wondering why Ferrante didn't end with a happy resolution, for Eleni at least, who deserved it the most. 

I was disappointed with Lila, she was the strongest, most formidable and ambitious of the two - yet she relented and settled for a life with a rich husband and nothing of her own.

Ferrante's style of writing is wonderful. She is blunt, succinct yet conversational - and many of the words she used I had never heard of before - which is a plus for me. It was a very easy read and delicately written. 

I hope I haven't given too much of the story away, but I highly highly recommend this novel. I truly related to both characters even though there were clear differences between the both. This has really made me want to seek out more of Ferrante's novels, which I shall put at the top of my list for 2016 reads! 

Gx 


You Might Also Like

0 comments